charlotte. nineteen. my two cents' worth.

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Italia

I've just returned from the Easter holidays in Italy - my first European holiday since moving to England 2 months ago. I was meeting 2 friends in Rome, then we would head south to Sorrento.

Walking out of Termini Station, I instantly felt out of place. I had no idea where I was, or how I was supposed to get to the hostel I was meeting my friends at. All I had was a map I couldn't read nor understand, and a suitcase and a bag I was desperately clutching too in attempts to not be pick-pocketed in my first moments in Rome. After about twenty minutes of wandering completely in the wrong direction I miraculously bumped into my friend on the street, and had never been so happy in my life to see a familiar face.

It's easy to see why Rome is one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world. With it's architectural and artistic treasures, noisy markets and its romantic corners, Rome certainly knows how to impress.

Rome

Moving south to Sorrento, it took a lot of chocolate and a very long 4 hour bus ride to see what all the fuss was about. And boy was it worth it. With houses scattered on ruggered terrain overlooking Naples and Mt Vesuvius, Sorrento is an appealing place with an undeniable laid-back charm. Wandering around the town centre is enough to see why it's so easy to fall in love with.

Sorrento

The next site to tick off the list was Pompeii - "an ancient town frozen in its 2000 year-old death throes, Pompeii was a thriving commercial town until Mt Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD, killing some 2000 people." We arrived at 10am, and did not leave the ruins until 6pm that night. It would be an understatement to say that there was a lot to see. It easy to see why this site attracts so many tourists worldwide.

Pompeii

Quite possibly my favourite part of the whole holiday was our day trip to Capri. "Get past the designer boutiques, and you will discover an island of rugged seascapes, Roman ruins and an unspoiled rural inland" - and we sure did. We ended up completing something like a 2 or 3 hour walk along one of the walking tacks around the coastline, and in doing so I saw some of the most spectacular views. It honestly looked like something out of a movie. Yes, I could definitely picture myself living in a little house on the island of Capri, where the streets are too narrow for cars, the houses overlook some of the most spectacular views, and the people are very friendly, and the food is indescribable. 

Capri

Yes, this is my happy place. In the short amount of time I had here, and the limited number of places I was able to visit, I can honestly say that I am in love with Italy.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment