charlotte. nineteen. my two cents' worth.

Sunday 4 May 2014

Portobello Road Markets

I don't know what it is about markets. It might be the smell of foreign food, the endless hours of people-watching, or the promise of snagging a bargain, but either way I just love them. Hence, I've managed to make my way though quite a few markets since being in London. It's safe to say I've eaten way too much market food, drunk way too much and spent more money than I'm keen to admit. Markets just make me impulsive.

The Portobello Road Markets were no different. Perhaps the most famous markets in London, these markets are located in the beautiful area of Notting Hill. It's exactly as you'd expect it: vibrant, colourful houses surrounding the market stalls, people everywhere, and busy restaurants and pubs. 

I didn't know where to start, so I just walked. To say it was crowded was an understatement. Wherever I walked I was constantly squashed between dozens of random people (I would hate to see how busy these markets get in the summer!)

My first stop was a second-hand book stall. I was in heaven. I literally could have spent all day, and all my money, flicking through the old pages of classic books. I ended up controlling myself and thankfully only purchased a Beatrix Potter book.

I was getting quite peckish, and luckily I was just entering the food markets. The only problem with market food is that I never know what to eat. There is every single kind of cuisine you could wish for. I opted for some sort of chickpea patty, and it was unbelievably good. And to make the day even better, the sun decided to come out after weeks of constant rain and cloud. It was looking to be a pretty perfect day!

After what felt like an hour, I eventually made it to the end of the markets, and it was time to turn around and walk around the other side of the road. There were so many interesting things being sold, including polaroid cameras, which I so desperately wanted to buy, but didn't due to my lack of funds. But that was okay, because when I reached the next stall I saw the most delectable looking brownie. I obviously had to try it, and it was the most amazing thing I have ever tasted. I could eat these for the rest of my life and die a happy lady!

So there you have it - my day at London's most iconic markets. I ate, and shopped, and ate some more. I was full, I was happy, and I was in London. I could not have asked for a better day.


TTFN x

No comments:

Post a Comment